Wednesday

Skincare

This skincare post has been a while in the making. My regime is rather complicated...

My skin has always been very good. I've had baby soft skin for a long time. During puberty I was very lucky and only got the odd pimple here and there. My main problems are blackheads and visible pores in my nose area.



Left to right: cleansers, toner, serum, moisturizers, sunscreens

I follow a basic 5-step regime:
1. Cleanse
2. Tone
3. Serum
4. Moisturize
5. Sunscreen


The most important thing about skin is that different parts of your face has different needs. My nose is different from my cheeks. Moisturizer cannot be used as an eye cream or neck cream. That's why I have so many products because I adjust what to use depending on how my skin is that day.

There are two unbreakable rules I follow:
1. Sunscreen is applied EVERYDAY regardless of weather and it is re-applied throughout the day.
2. Wash your face before going to bed, always

Cleansers:
Yes to (Carrots) Tomato Facial Wash: I like this one for daily use. It smells heavenly and Yes to Carrots is an affordable organic skincare line.
Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Cream: Love love love this product! It is the only thing that has gotten rid of my blackheads. I use it on the days when my skin needs heavy cleaning. Otherwise it's once a week for exfoliation.
Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil: I'm using the yellow one but the purple one is really good but it was sold out. Cleansing oil is great for getting rid of makeup (I rarely wear it) and deep cleaning.
Aesop Parsley Seed Facial Cleansing Oil: I bought this in New York since it's impossible to find Aesop in Canada. I don't find it as effective as the Shu Uemura cleansing oil but I do like the smell

Toner:
It's difficult to find a toner I like. All of them contain alcohol and parfum which is bad. I like this one from Avene but to be honest I don't use toner often. There's one from Kiehl's that's very good too.

Serums:
Decleor Ylang Ylang Oil: Only used on the nose to keep those blackheads away
Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate: Love the smell, great product.
You apply serum while the toner is still wet on your skin. Put a few drops in the palm of your hands and rub together to warm it up.

Eye Cream:
Since I'm still young I don't need a specialized eye cream. I use the one from Burt's Bees and it smells heavenly.

Moisturizers:
Yes to Tomatoes: This line is meant for oily-combo skin and I love the smell of this moisturizer
Caudalie Vinopure fluid: Non-greasy and very moisturizing
Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel: Very basic and I use it whenever I just want to clear my skin

Sunscreen: 
The most important step! It took a while to find a sunscreen that was non-greasy and had physical ingredients (titanium oxide or zinc oxide)
Josie Maran: Love this for mornings
Shiseido for kids: Perfect sunscreen! High percentage of zinc oxide and doesn't leave my skin feeling congested.

I read a lot of product reviews and I'm always excited to try new products. The skincare section at Sephora is one of my favourite places.  Since I have oily skin, I usually do not put any products on my skin and just wash with water for one day to let my skin self-regulate itself. Of course drinking water is key and I stay hydrated by taking my Sigg bottle with me everywhere.

I think anyone can have great skin so long as they put the extra effort. Look in the mirror and really inspect what problems you have. Use the internet to read reviews and then get samples. I love Into the Gloss top shelf for product suggestions. If you have any questions I can give you my two cents in the matter.

***Ooops I left out Caudalie Vinoperfect Night Perfecting Cream that I use as a spot treatment for sun spots.

2 comments:

Gerry said...

I love reading about skincare regimens!

I wish I was diligent enough to reapply sunblock throughout the day but I feel weird putting it over my makeup or washing off my makeup to reapply. How do you do it?

L.L. said...

I'm not very diligent about reapplying throughout the day. There are these little chapstick sized sunscreen sticks you can get and they go on clear. Also there's sunscreen powders from colourscience (expensive!) and I think Peter Thomas Roth.